Are You Hypnotized?


 How many of you have been hypnotized? If asked, most of us would probably say we have not. But, what of the hypnotism of ritual and repetition? Perhaps after hearing the same commercial for high blood pressure medication five times a day, we acquiesce and have high blood pressure. Daily news programs pound certain “facts” into our brain until we begin to agree and tell our friends they should, too. The songs we listen to, the television we watch, the podcasts we believe, aren’t they all forms of hypnotism? Personally, I am in love with The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. As with any indulgence, I’m aware it has the opportunity to turn into a bothersome addiction. Perhaps I was hypnotized into watching this show in the first place? But if I allow it to replay in my mind, or if (heaven forbid) I decide to do one of her standup comedy routines at the next gathering of people I’m at — well, that could be a problem. I’m not suggesting we stop enjoying all the fun things we like. I’m simply reminding myself to be aware of what’s happening when I fall into the trap of repeating, repenting, or reruns of Mrs. Maisel. Life is supposed to be fun, so let’s keep on having it! Also, let’s be aware those cravings we’re feeling may just be the result of mesmerism. We, the people, are sharp enough to know the difference…


"We say that one human mind can influence another and in this way affect the body, but we rarely remember that we govern our own bodies. The error, mesmerism -- or hypnotism, to use the recent term -- illustrates the fact just stated. The operator would make his subjects believe that they cannot act voluntarily and handle themselves as they should do. If they yield to this influence, it is because their belief is not better instructed by spiritual understanding." Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 402:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

For Healing, Welcome Truth

Stop and Smell the Lilacs Many new-age thought systems try to find reasons for disease, then work to get rid of the "problem" whic...