Monday, October 7, 2024

Is It True?

Photo courtesy of Blake Lasater

How would you feel if everyone defined you by the “worst” thing you ever did in your life? At a celebratory event, I did just that. I saw a young woman, whom I remembered from her teen years. Although I didn’t know her well, I remembered a particularly unfortunate event in her younger life. That would have been all right if I had turned it around and remembered her as the innocent child that we all truly are. I shared my ugly memory of her with the woman sitting next to me, and later with someone else. I’ve felt regret ever since.  When something keeps coming back to my mind, I know it needs examination. I’m remembering “The Work” by Byron Katie. Before I repeat something in the future, I shall ask myself these questions: “Is it true?  Can you absolutely know that it's true? How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought? Who would you be without the thought?” For someone like me who is “into” the truth, I sure fell into the ditch on this one! 

“When examined in the light of divine Science, mortals present more than is detected upon the surface, since inverted thoughts and erroneous beliefs must be counterfeits of Truth.” 

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 267:19-22


“I can be hurt by nothing but my thoughts. Father, Your Son is perfect. When I think that I am hurt in any way, it is because I have forgotten who I am, and that I am as You created me. Your Thoughts can only bring me happiness. If ever I am sad or hurt or ill, I have forgotten what You think, and put my little meaningless ideas in place of where Your Thoughts belong, and where they are. I can be hurt by nothing but my thoughts. The Thoughts I think with You can only bless. The Thoughts I think with You alone are true.


“I will not hurt myself today. For I am far beyond all pain. My Father placed me safe in Heaven, watching over me. And I would not attack the Son He loves, for what He loves is also mine to love.”

A Course in Miracles W-281.1:1–2:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

I’m About To Do It …

  Art: Adrian Borda “Therefore, dark past, I'm about to do it. I'm about to forgive you for everything.” ~ Mary Oliver I’ve been hav...