Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Seeing Happiness Today

Scout’s First Day With Me

As I was glancing through the magazine, Real Simple, my attention was caught by an article titled, “It’s Better to be Happy for a Little While Than Unhappy Forever” — wow! The short narrative told of a couple who found a stray kitten, loved it dearly, never took trips because they would miss their cat, then when the sweet kitty, Gem, passed on, they decided to travel. They enjoyed it very much, but were happy to come back to their home. But something was missing. They needed a cat. A friend saw one that needed a home and reminded her of Gem, but the couple was reluctant because the cat was older and seemed to have some health problems. They decided against getting it. When the woman was lamenting their decision to her hairdresser, the stylist’s response was: “It’s better to be happy for a little while than unhappy forever.” A lightbulb went on over the woman’s head.  And so adopted the cat, its health problems cleared up with tender, loving care, and they have  loved it for five years, to the betterment of all involved! The idea of being happy right now without worrying about the possible perils of tomorrow makes me smile. I hope it does you, too!

“My present happiness is all I see. Unless I look upon what is not there, my present happiness is all I see. Eyes that begin to open see at last. And I would have Christ’s vision come to me this very day. What I perceive without God’s Own Correction for the sight I made is frightening and painful to behold. Yet I would not allow my mind to be deceived by the belief the dream I made is real an instant longer. This the day I seek my present happiness, and look on nothing else except the thing I seek.


“With this resolve I come to You, and ask Your strength to hold me up today, while I but seek to do Your Will. You cannot fail to hear me, Father. What I ask have You already given me. And I am sure that I will see my happiness today.”

A Course in Miracles W-290.1:1–2:4


“Earth has little light or joy for mortals before Life is spiritually learned. Every agony of mortal error helps error to destroy error, and so aids the apprehension of immortal Truth. This is the new birth going on hourly, by which men may entertain angels, the true ideas of God, the spiritual sense of being.” 

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 548:9-16

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

A Day of Stillness and Peace

Félix Vallotton  The Bridge Over Béal (Le Pont sur le Béal), 1922. It's a beautiful day in the Ozarks. Peace is easily felt in the splen...