Friday, April 20, 2018

To Forgive or Not?

PC: Heather Peters

“All that I give is given to myself”. This ACIM lesson causes me to look at what I give by way of my everyday actions. I would hope I’m giving happiness, peace, love, compassion — but sometimes I give judgment, condemnation, self-righteous thoughts, and false forgiveness. It’s all too easy to forgive in a way which is nothing more than a way of thinking I’m superior and, in some way, better than the forgiven one. This is akin to the “back-handed compliment”, the way people may say “thank you very much” when they are not thanking someone but, rather, making a point of feeling slighted in some way. Or maybe my so-called forgiveness is akin to a charitable act on my part; an act I may withhold as punishment to the other and self-aggrandizement for myself. I am working toward understanding this thing called forgiveness. I ask myself, How would Love look on this? Today I will strive to see through the veil of belief which dictates how I should interpret others’ actions. 

“We must reverse our feeble flutterings--our efforts to find life and truth in matter--and rise above the testimony of the material senses, above the mortal to the immortal idea of God. These clearer, higher views inspire the God-like man to reach the absolute centre and circumference of his being.” Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 262:11-16






No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Unspeakable Peace

Commaraderie at Book Club “Maybe we will drown or burn or starve one day, but until then we get to choose if we’ll add to that destruction o...