To Forgive or Not?

PC: Heather Peters

“All that I give is given to myself”. This ACIM lesson causes me to look at what I give by way of my everyday actions. I would hope I’m giving happiness, peace, love, compassion — but sometimes I give judgment, condemnation, self-righteous thoughts, and false forgiveness. It’s all too easy to forgive in a way which is nothing more than a way of thinking I’m superior and, in some way, better than the forgiven one. This is akin to the “back-handed compliment”, the way people may say “thank you very much” when they are not thanking someone but, rather, making a point of feeling slighted in some way. Or maybe my so-called forgiveness is akin to a charitable act on my part; an act I may withhold as punishment to the other and self-aggrandizement for myself. I am working toward understanding this thing called forgiveness. I ask myself, How would Love look on this? Today I will strive to see through the veil of belief which dictates how I should interpret others’ actions. 

“We must reverse our feeble flutterings--our efforts to find life and truth in matter--and rise above the testimony of the material senses, above the mortal to the immortal idea of God. These clearer, higher views inspire the God-like man to reach the absolute centre and circumference of his being.” Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 262:11-16






No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

For Healing, Welcome Truth

Stop and Smell the Lilacs Many new-age thought systems try to find reasons for disease, then work to get rid of the "problem" whic...