Loving Grandchildren

My daughter-in law and grandson

I’ve been with my son’s family for the last week. Imagine my delight when the topic of Marianne Williamson’s morning email was her granddaughter! I give you these beautiful thoughts for today —-

From Marianne Williamson: “I’ve been in London for the last three weeks, as my daughter who lives here gave birth to my first grandchild. And today was Elizabeth’s baby naming! Parents, grandparents, and friends gathered to pray for her health and happiness throughout her life.

After the ceremony, I carried Elizabeth into a room where we had a few minutes alone. Nothing like the birth of a child reminds us of our ancestors who are no longer with us, as well as our descendants who are yet to arrive. We are reminded of our place in history when a child is born, as well as the responsibilities that go along with it. Praying for the wellbeing of a newborn child, we’re reminded to pray for the world in which she will grow up.

I worry about the world Elizabeth is inheriting, and I know that most new parents and grandparents feel the same these days. We’re anxious about the state of things, including the state of the planet itself. Yet with the birth of each new child comes the arrival of new hope. In our quiet moments that we had together today, I promised Elizabeth I would do my best to make the world a better place for her. Every person who surrounded her made a similar commitment today, and in our hearts we really meant it.

I feel sad to be leaving London next week, for every day Elizabeth’s little face takes on new layers of beauty. Watching my daughter and her husband parent her so lovingly, I’m present to a miracle simply gazing at their family. I’m sad to think of little things that I’ll be missing, not being a Mimi who lives around the corner as my own grandmother did. But I do know I’m supposed to go home next week, to hit the ground running on our campaign for a better world.

As I held Elizabeth in my arms, I spoke from my soul to hers. I told her how much I love her, and I reminded her to remember what she herself is here to do. In the ceremony of blessing, the rabbi had prayed she would grow up to be a woman of learning and a woman of service. When I had my own time with her, I added my prayer for her power and strength. May the love she has brought into the world already be magnified millions and millions of times throughout her life.

Meanwhile, her Mimi will travel back to the United States in a few days; but being a grandmother, I am changed. More than ever, I will commit our campaign to the wellbeing of children. More than ever, I will commit our campaign to the repair of the earth. More than ever, I will commit our campaign to love.

For Elizabeth, and for all the children just arriving in the world right now, together let’s create something beautiful for them all.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...