The Art of Being

Pottering in the Kitchen

"Pottering: A Cure For Modern Life", by Anna McGovern is a book I love without having read it -- and that's probably because I'm living it, as many of you are, too. One definition of pottering is this: to move around without hurrying, in a relaxed and pleasant way. That's just perfect! Wayne Dyer was fond of saying that we aren't human doings, we're human beings. He reminded us we don’t need to be rushing around all the time, constantly doing; that we are free to "be" and enjoy doing what we are led to do, independent of what we think we should be doing. I've always loved this way of thought and feel fortunate to have been able to follow this advice for most of my life. As I tell people when they ask how I'm adjusting to retirement: I've been practicing for it for years! I love pottering around the house doing chores and putting total attention on so-called mundane tasks -- the same full attention which I give to playing duplicate bridge. Washing dishes holds a rainbow of sensory events which I now have time to savor, as did making the meal which gave me the dirty dishes. To sit down and read a favorite weekly news magazine is bliss; to practice the piano is heavenly. I look forward to reading Ms. McGovern's book, because her title tells me we already know each other — though we've never met. Happy Pottering!! 


"Rushing around smartly is no proof of accomplishing much." 

Mary Baker Eddy - Miscellaneous Writings Page 230:12


“Then follow Him in joy, with faith that He will lead you safely through all dangers to your peace of mind this world may set before you. Kneel not before the altars to sacrifice, and seek not what you will surely lose. Content yourself with what you will as surely keep, and be not restless, for you undertake a quiet journey to the peace of God, where He would have you be in quietness.” A Course in Miracles T-13.VII.15:1-3 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...