Confession Time

St Elizabeth's in Eureka Springs
photo credit: Richard Quick
Just when I think no matter what anyone says, I'm cool and won't react -- well, you know what happens when we're sure of something! I play keyboards for the Catholics on Saturday afternoon, and today while I was hanging out in their library a little old man told me the Democrats were trying to keep God out of everyone's lives, and he told me a few instances of how that was happening. I calmly said I didn't think that was so and asked him how he knew this. There were some other folks in the room, interjecting this and that, and then he said that Jim Baker had a lot of smart people on his show and that's how he knew that Christians were being discriminated against. At that point, I knew I should leave and got up to do so. But then he said, "Oh, yeah, she won't listen; she's narrow minded." At which point I turned around and pointed at him (I really dislike it when people do that to me!) and said, "I watch Fox news regularly so I can see what the lie of the day is!" Then I left, feeling horrid that I'd allowed my emotions to roil out all over him. I tell this story on myself as a kind of confession, although I'm not asking for absolution. I do feel we should speak out against lies and injustice, but with compassion. Perhaps I've failed, but I've forgiven myself, and the dear little man who is so sure Jim Baker knows what he's talking about. Whew!



"There are two diametrically opposed ways of seeing your brother. They must both be in your mind, because you are the perceiver. They must also be in his, because you are perceiving him. See him through the Holy Spirit in his mind, and you will recognize Him in yours. What you acknowledge in your brother you are acknowledging in yourself, and what you share you strengthen." A Course in Miracles T-5.III.3

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

For Healing, Welcome Truth

Stop and Smell the Lilacs Many new-age thought systems try to find reasons for disease, then work to get rid of the "problem" whic...