Fooled By Believing or Not Believing?

 


The quote currently at the bottom of my emails caught my attention when I opened this window: "There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true." Soren Kierkegaard  -- Social media, to me, is a way to keep up with loved ones far away, people close by, events around town, and wonderful musical events, such as The Big Barn Dance in Taos, New Mexico. Of course, it is also the avenue for conspiracy theories and purveyors of horrid happenings. There is a story going around about animal mutilations in our neighborhood, which is, of course, horrifying whether it is happening or not. It has caused me to examine why people say these things, and I truly believe most folks think they are helping others by warning them about trouble. Which is the same thing as folks warning us that Tom Hanks is a pedophile and that Hillary Clinton runs prostitutes out of a pizza joint. Here is why the Kierkegaard quote jumped out at me: Am I being fooled by believing or not believing?? It's always seemed to me that truth just feels true. But with so much misinformation going around in everyone's heads, I think it's easier to be pulled into swirling chaotic thought than ever before. It's kind of like an approaching storm with its electric, exciting expectancy: will it be beautiful and cleansing or are we going to Oz? And, is that necessarily a bad thing? Hum...


"Science only can explain the incredible good and evil elements now coming to the surface. Mortals must find refuge in Truth in order to escape the error of these latter days. Nothing is more antagonistic to Christian Science than a blind belief without understanding, for such a belief hides Truth and builds on error." Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 83:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...