Cause of Anger: Facts or Interpretation?

"The Earth is My Sister" - Sandy Wythawai Starbird

A few years ago, a woman I’ve known all my life said some mean things to me about someone I love. Although I wasn't actively disliking her, and I certainly never would have spoken badly of her, I would have been fine never seeing her or speaking with her again. When our paths finally crossed, it was in the market and she was a few dollars short when it came time to pay for her groceries. I gladly offered her money and she gratefully accepted. By this simple meeting and interaction, any animosity I was harboring toward her disappeared. Just like that, it was gone! This felt so good, I am hoping to find other twinges of ill-will within myself, so as to confront them and watch the consequent resolution! Life is good!

“Perhaps it will be helpful to remember that no one can be angry at a fact. It is always an interpretation that gives rise to negative emotions, regardless of their seeming justification by what appears as facts. Regardless, too, of the intensity of the anger that is aroused. It may be merely slight irritation, perhaps too mild to be even clearly recognized. Or it may also take the form of intense rage, accompanied by thoughts of violence, fantasized or apparently acted out. It does not matter. All of these reactions are the same. They obscure the truth, and this can never be a matter of degree. Either truth is apparent, or it is not. It cannot be partially recognized. Who is unaware of truth must look upon illusions.” A Course in Miracles - Manual for Teachers

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...