Thursday, August 11, 2022

Only Accouterments …


Often people retire from life-long jobs and feel lost. I’ve been thinking about how we often define ourselves by our jobs, our talents, our looks, our cars, our children — well, the list goes on, doesn’t it? When I closed my beloved art gallery, many people warned me that it would be a huge adjustment, not having it as the center of my existence; not going there every day. But it wasn’t difficult at all! Perhaps it’s because it never defined me, even though I was in love with it. It’s easy to think of one’s self as being a mother, or a mechanic, or any number of things which we do on a daily basis. And there is nothing wrong with that; nothing at all! But I’m very grateful to know that all the hats I’ve worn in this life are only accouterments to Life!

“Above all else I want to see. — Recognizing that what I see reflects what I think I am, I realize that vision is my greatest need. The world I see attests to the fearful nature of the self-image I have made. If I would remember who I am, it is essential that I let this image of myself go. As it is replaced by truth, vision will surely be given me. And with this vision, I will look upon the world and on myself with charity and love.” A Course in Miracles W-56.2:1-6


"God is divine Life, and Life is no more confined to the forms which reflect it than substance is in its shadow.” Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 331:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Clearing Out Clutter

Photo courtesy of Kailey Jones Most people seem to be getting rid of things they don’t need. We’re letting go of items which are cluttering...