The Soft-Winged Dove

Photo credit: Aaron Springston

After receiving a phone call from an old friend, whom I had not seen since the early part of the 21st Century, I stopped to ponder how many people may feel as helpless as she does. This beautiful, smart woman has a PhD and is working in her chosen field. She feels estranged from her family. She recently contracted The Virus and was forced to move from the apartment she shared with friends. She wants a man in her life. She is seeing a psychiatrist and has been diagnosed with Asperger’s. He wants her to take antidepressants and other medications. When she finished hurriedly telling me these things (and more), I was silent. She said, What do you think? I laughed and said I thought she shouldn’t listen to what other people thought she should do, but rather to do what was right for her. As she felt hurt by her family’s words and actions, I reminded her to not take what others said personally, and not to assume why they said/did anything. By this time I was ready to jump up on my soapbox, so I explained how a person could enjoy each and every little thing, and she could begin learning this by walking in the woods, stopping and noticing flora and fauna, being grateful for every breath, planting things in the ground, swimming — enjoying life! She said she had goosebumps and felt these words were true. As my friend, Jim, often says: We’re here to lend ourselves to each other. Namaste …

“We cannot sing redemption’s hymn alone. My task is not completed until I have lifted every voice with mine. And yet it is not mine, for as it is my gift to you, so was it the Father’s gift to me, given me through His Spirit. The sound of it will banish sorrow from the mind of God’s most holy Son, where it cannot abide. Healing in time is needed, for joy cannot establish its eternal reign where sorrow dwells. You dwell not here, but in eternity. You travel but in dreams, while safe at home. Give thanks to every part of you that you have taught how to remember you. Thus does the Son of God give thanks unto his Father for his purity.” 

A Course in Miracles T-13.VII.17:1-9


“Think of this, dear reader, for it will lift the sack cloth from your eyes, and you will behold the soft-winged dove descending upon you. The very circumstance, which your suffering sense deems wrathful and afflictive, Love can make an angel entertained unawares.” 

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 574:25-30

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...