Thank You For Lying

 

Photo credit: Aaron Springston

Seventy years ago, a young Chicano woman had a baby out of wedlock. She kept me for two months before her family forced her to give me to her Tia Sophia, who was 40 and had always wanted a baby, but she and her husband could not have children. And so they took me as their own, changed my name and birthdate, and moved to a state where no one knew them. When I found out about these events as my dad was on his deathbed, it came as quite a surprise. I was disappointed and angry because they had taught me to be incredibly honest, and it felt as though my whole life had been a lie. It didn’t take too many years for me to see the wisdom of their ways. In the 1950s an illegitimate child carried quite a stigma; perhaps an adopted one did, too. Looking back on the situation, I have nothing but gratitude for the people who educated me, loved me, and provided me with an understanding of divine metaphysics which could not have occurred in most households in Arkansas. Thank you greatly …


“Physical birth is not a beginning; it is a continuing. Everything that continues has already been born.” A Course in Miracles T-5.IV.2:4-5


“Citizens of the world, accept the ‘glorious liberty of the children of God,’ and be free!” 

Mary Baker Eddy — Science & Health 227:24-25


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...