Loving the Quiet


Having grown up as an only child, I looked forward to going to school, belonging to many clubs, and leaving for college a year early so I could have a crazy social life. Today, it’s quite a revelation to see all desire to do “things” has left me. I do enjoy my daily walk at the cemetery, which tops off a day of puttering, reading, doing household things, bridge playing, piano playing, and an occasional chat with family members or watching a movie. The more I stay home, the more I want to stay home. Today, I did not join a number of group chats being held by friends, as I had no desire to talk to others. I did speak with a good friend on the phone, and we mentioned how we had reached a point of not wanting to “do” anything. Another friend told a mutual social media friend how much she is enjoying this quiet time of contemplation and communing with nature. I heard a program on NPR today which talked of how people are becoming more aware of where their food comes from now that things are not magically re-appearing in grocery stores. People are actually thinking about the high cost and foolishness of shipping a strawberry from the west coast, perhaps letting it rot in the refrigerator, then putting in a landfill, thus adding triply to their carbon footprint. I am grateful for the lessons I’m learning about myself during this time, and I trust you are discovering some things, too. And don't forget to support your local farmers!

"A higher and more practical Christianity, demonstrating justice and meeting the needs of mortals in sickness and in health, stands at the door of this age, knocking for admission. Will you open or close the door upon this angel visitant, who cometh in the quiet of meekness, as it came of old to the patriarch at noonday?" Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 224:22

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...