Prayerful Listening

 

St. Elizabeth Catholic Church
Eureka Springs, AR - 2023

The past two weeks have been a blur to me. Snow, ice, prayer and meditation while waiting for an answer to the puzzle of what is to become of my sweet nonagenarian friends. That seems an odd way to think of them, as I’ve known them for around 30 years and they are just “friends”, but the clarification seems necessary when I’m explaining their extreme need. Many friends have been forthcoming with suggestions and possibilities for someone to live with them. Today, I think they have found the perfect person to help them through this. An incredibly loving and kind woman, with grown children, a part-time job, and a desire to find purpose for her life, has appeared. When Clarence, my friend with Alzheimer’s, asked where I found her, I happily told him the Universe had brought her to us. A series of synchronized events bring us to this parenthesis in eternity. The gratitude I feel is immense! 


“And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.” 

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health 497:24-27


“The secret of true prayer is to forget the things you think you need. To ask for the specific is much the same as to look on sin and then forgive it. Also in the same way, in prayer you overlook your specific needs as you see them, and let them go into God’s Hands. There they become your gifts to Him, for they tell Him that you would have no gods before Him; no love but His. What could His answer be but your remembrance of Him? Can this be traded for a bit of trifling advice about a problem of an instant’s duration? God answers only for eternity. But still all little answers are contained in this.” A Course in Miracles S-1.I.4:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...