Rectify the Past and Change the Future

 

Photo credit: Aaron Springston

Tonight I attended a meeting of our local metaphysical society. Although I haven’t done so in years, the man presenting this evening’s program is a friend, and he asked me to be there. I enjoyed hearing him tell of the stumbling trail which led him to this point in his life. Some of the experiences he related led to others asking questions about “past life regressions” and related subjects. It’s always surprising to me that anyone cares about these things, but I managed to keep this opinion to myself. Do we need to know if we’re carrying “bad karmic energy” around in order to rectify it? I have a feeling we’re here to learn to express the Love which created us, and this expression is manifested in our every thought and action. Living every moment as lovingly and with as much compassion as we possibly can, this is what feels important to me. This statement has stayed with me, although its author’s name has not: “We cannot change the past, but what we do in the present rectifies the past and changes the future.” That’s enough for me!


“The ego has a strange notion of time, and it is with this notion that your questioning might well begin. The ego invests heavily in the past, and in the end believes that the past is the only aspect of time that is meaningful. Remember that its emphasis on guilt enables it to ensure its continuity by making the future like the past, and thus avoiding the present. By the notion of paying for the past in the future, the past becomes the determiner of the future, making them continuous without an intervening present. For the ego regards the present only as a brief transition to the future, in which it brings the past to the future by interpreting the present in past terms.” 

A Course in Miracles  T-13.IV.4:1-5


“Jesus aided in reconciling man to God by giving man a truer sense of Love, the divine Principle of Jesus' teachings, and this truer sense of Love redeems man from the law of matter, sin, and death by the law of Spirit,--the law of divine Love.”

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 18:6-11

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...