False Belief Engenders Fear

Photo credit; Aaron Springston

When we believe that something outside ourself is creating circumstance, we give this outside cause reality and make it and its effects our reality. This false belief engenders fear. “A meaningless world engenders fear because I think I am in competition with God." So often we act as though we're in charge and that we must tell God what we want in order for it to be done. We bargain and cajole to get our way, then get angry with God when we don’t get what we want. We blame God when anything less than our idea of good comes our way. We thank God when we get our way, perhaps in a boastful or self-satisfied way. All these actions are symptoms of the separation we feel. Allowing everything to be meaningless is similar to letting go of an addiction! Interesting symptoms show up, as could irritableness when giving up caffeine. Today I repeatedly found myself thinking less than charitable and loving thoughts toward people I barely know. While reading on social media about problems the daughter of an old friend was having, I thought to myself that she had brought them on herself. I immediately stopped and questioned my motives, uncovering the remembrance of a perceived painful period of antagonism between people I love. And then I stepped back and remembered the reasons I love and appreciate these dear old friends. Let's not be afraid of any rogue thoughts which may seem to assault us, but rather acknowledge them as symptoms of a clearing away of self to allow our Self to be demonstrated.

“History teaches that the popular and false notions about the Divine Being and character have originated in the human mind.”  

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 357:19-21


“The emptiness engendered by fear must be replaced by forgiveness. That is what the Bible means by ‘There is no death,’ and why I could demonstrate that death does not exist. I came to fulfill the law by reinterpreting it. The law itself, if properly understood, offers only protection. It is those who have not yet changed their minds who brought the ‘hell-fire’ concept into it. I assure you that I will witness for anyone who lets me, and to whatever extent he permits it. Your witnessing demonstrates your belief, and thus strengthens it. Those who witness for me are expressing, through their miracles, that they have abandoned the belief in deprivation in favor of the abundance they have learned belongs to them.” 

A Course in Miracles T-1.IV.4:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...