February 9, 2015 - Happiness No Matter What ...

"Beaver Bridge"
photo by Steve Shogren
ACIM Workbook Lesson #40:
“I am blessed as a Son of God."

Why can’t we all just be happy? I’ve heard this question voiced numerous times, and I’ve probably said it myself a time or two. People may tell you that life’s circumstances keep some from being happy. They think that if someone is living in poverty and/or abusive conditions, their happiness is squelched. I don’t believe this to necessarily be true any more than it’s opposite: if you have everything in the way of material needs and wants, you are assured happiness. When I was a teenager, a woman who was a friend of my parents had a series of things happen which we would think of as bearers of sadness. In a three-year period, her husband passed on, their house burned down, and then her daughter was in a car accident which left her in a coma for over a year before she died. Oh — she had also lost an infant daughter years before. This woman lived into her 80s, always helping others, and died with a smile on her face. I often wondered how she did it. I see now that she knew the open secret of Life. With each loved one who passes on, with each beloved animal I’ve known and loved through the years, something is growing more certain within me. They haven’t gone anywhere. Never born, never dying. If there’s a beginning, then there must be an end. That thought brings a certain smile.

Mary Baker Eddy quote:
"Man is, and always has been, God's reflection."

Science & Health Page 471:17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...