Do I Really Want To Go Outside?

my 90-year-old bridge partner

As mentioned before in these writings, I have truly enjoyed this year of semi-isolation and lack of activities. Admittedly, there was a bit of angst when I heard the news that our duplicate bridge clubs were starting up again, our book club meetings are happening, and other face-to-face gatherings are looming on the horizon. But after a lunch out with a friend, two book club meetings, and enjoying another monthly gathering which has resumed, a few realizations have come to my mind. There is a special type of mental stimulation which has been missing from my days. Talking to women about our book club read, The Book of Longings, caused me to realize there is no substitute for conversation with intelligent, caring people. And although I love online bridge and have become a more skilled player through the extra time spent playing from the coziness of my home, I am now remembering a bridge pro telling us that you could be on a desert island and become a chess expert, alone, by yourself — but not so with bridge. In bridge, you have the nuances of people’s demeanor to take into consideration when planning play and defense. Also, there is a certain diversity of thought which will not happen in my world without sitting at a table with conservative thinkers for a few hours a couple of times a week. So with these realizations, I’m looking forward to seeing how my perceptions and understanding has changed since we were last together. I am, indeed, looking forward to these new-old adventures!


"Happiness is spiritual, born of Truth and Love. It is unselfish; therefore it cannot exist alone, but requires all mankind to share it." Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 57:18-21

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...