The Joys of Solitude

 ​

Salt Flats - Utah - PC: Aaron Springston

Silence. First thing in the morning, I’ve always tried to have a happy thought, followed by a bit of concentrated study. Perhaps it’s the workbook lesson from A Course in Miracles, maybe it’s reading a page or two from another writing which will center me to begin the day, but it’s definitely not the news of world horrors. Last thing at night, I shut my brain down with a crossword puzzle or Words With Friends. But an important part of my day has always been silence. Listening. During the whirlwind romance I embarked on for the last four years, my silent time was diminished and at times non-existent. Now that Kevin has passed on, I am grateful for the moments I gave him, but I’m realizing how much I lost in not allowing myself more communion with All that Is. I Am. Falling back into the quiet rhythms which I love is a joy. I feel an urgency not before known, and it’s difficult to impart this to friends. The contentment brought from simple household chores, the happiness which rises when I wake up and realize I have nowhere to be, the pleasure derived from watching the flowers grow, doing chair exercises with a calm couple on youTube, playing the piano — I’m happier every day. So if I turn down an invitation to do something fun, please forgive me. I’ll be ready soon...


“The scientific sense of being, forsaking matter for Spirit, by no means suggests man’s absorption into Deity and the loss of his identity, but confers upon man enlarged individuality, a wider sphere of thought and action, a more expansive love, a higher and more permanent peace.” Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 265:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Correcting Twisted Views

Aurora Borealis in the Ozarks Photo courtesy of Catherine Reed One of the great things about the study of divine metaphysics is the never-en...