Tears

 

Piney Creek Flowers on my piano

I’ve had one of those days when everything has moved me to tears: happy things, sad events — varying degrees of tears, from eyes welling up to sobs. There is a bond between a cousin in south Texas and myself. We have never met, but have been communicating through Facebook for several years. She ‘s been submitting to chemotherapy for eight years and has been in intense pain every day. I asked her if she would follow this route if she had it to do over again, and she said no; that she had only begun treatment to appease her mother. She is ready for it to be over. I love how she reminds me to appreciate every moment of freedom from pain and emotional upset. I cried with her today. I also sobbed when my cat ate a butterfly. My eyes leaked when listening to Father Joseph deliver a homily about helping one another. Hearing a chorus of hospital workers on America’s Got Talent almost brought me to my knees. When I was a child, my parents would tell me the only reason a person cried was to get others to feel sorry for them. I’d love to tell them that full hearts must overflow. And that’s okay.


“Take heart, dear sufferer, for this reality of being will surely appear sometimes and in some way. There will be no more pain, and all tears will be wiped away. When you read this, remember Jesus’ words, ‘The kingdom of God is within you.’ This spiritual consciousness is therefore a present possibility.” Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 573:29

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...