Letting Go Of Self-Justification

 

photo credit: Aaron Springston

Reading an article entitled, "Letting Go Of Self-Justification", brought back memories of times I was positive someone else had caused me to behave badly. Even saying that brings a feeling of embarrassment. No one can "make" me behave in any way. But a sense of self-righteous certainty can turn any situation around and allow us to justify, in our own mind, almost anything we do or say. We see a lot of this occurring around us in the world, brought into our living rooms via media of various sorts, justified by newscasters and others. I feel certain every person who stormed the Capital on January 6 feels they did so for a righteous cause and would be happy to tell you how they were justified in their actions. This is but one example, and I use this one because it is so glaring, so in-our-faces, so undeniably awful. The events I recalled from my own life are actions toward another person; things for which I have apologized, but perhaps am still feeling justified in saying or doing. So I'm going to ponder them deeply and perhaps I will make a few phone calls and deliver sincere, deep apologies. I love the Holy-Days!!

"Sorry for wrong-doing is but one step towards reform and the very easiest step. The next and great step required by wisdom is the test of our sincerity, -- namely, reformation." Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...