Recognizing Humility


Art by Catrin Weltz-Stein

Humility is my focus during this Lenten season. The priest at the Catholic Church where I provide musical accompaniment requested that his congregation choose a virtue to focus on every day, and I feel this is the one in which I need the most practice. While some think it is arrogant to accept our divinity as a child of divine Mind (a/k/a God), students of Mary Baker Eddy and A Course in Miracles feel it is the ultimate humility. It’s a yielding which allows us to realize that Mind, Soul, Spirit, Life, Truth, Love, the Principal of all that Is — these things are all-inclusive, defining God, and all of creation. To rejoice in being One with everyone, to live from Love rather than fear and its imaginings, is to humbly accept the goodness inherent in us all. My focus on humility will hopefully lead me to turn away from the illusion of material problems, as I wholeheartedly accept my function as a reflection of God, and see that image mirrored in everyone I meet.

“To the ego, today’s idea [I am the light of the world] is the epitome of self-glorification. But the ego does not understand humility, mistaking it for self-debasement. Humility consists of accepting your role in salvation and in taking no other. It is not humility to insist you cannot be the light of the world if that is the function God assigned to you. It is only arrogance that would assert this function cannot be for you, and arrogance is always of the ego.”

A Course in Miracles W-61.1:1–2:5


"Praying for humility with whatever fervency of expression does not always mean a desire for it. If we turn away from the poor, we are not ready to receive the reward of Him who blesses the poor. We confess to having a very wicked heart and ask that it may be laid bare before us, but do we not already know more of this heart than we are willing to have our neighbor see?"

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 8:20-27

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...