Filling A Hole in the Soul


Watching the movie A Star is Born, with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, has left me an emotional wreck. I’m remembering all the alcoholic drug addicts I’ve known, along with all the incredibly talented Texas musicians I’ve loved. Whew! And this has led me to think about this thing we call will power. I’m not sure there is such a thing in our material sense of things. We say addiction is a disease, and that’s probably true, as it’s an acute sense of dis-ease which is felt in the throes of addictive behavior. An ex-heroine addict once told me he was trying to fill the “God hole” in his life. The religions he has tried to love did not fill his need, and he repeatedly turned to drugs. At one point I was addicted to many substances, and it was the illness of a child which caused me to want to change enough to struggle to do so.  The study of the Science of Christ satisfied the longing in my life. My discovery of A Course in Miracles closed the deal in my search for a happy existence.  For this, I am thankful with all my heart. 

“The power of the human will should be exercised only in subordination to Truth; else it will misguide the judgment and free the lower propensities. It is the province of spiritual sense to govern man. Material, erring, human thought acts injuriously both upon the body and through it."

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 206:4-9


“Your picture of the world can only mirror what is within. The source of neither light nor darkness can be found without. Grievances darken your mind, and you look out on a darkened world. Forgiveness lifts the darkness, reasserts your will, and lets you look upon a world of light. We have repeatedly emphasized that the barrier of grievances is easily passed, and cannot stand between you and your salvation. The reason is very simple. Do you really want to be in hell? Do you really want to weep and suffer and die?” 

A Course in Miracles W-73.5:1-8


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Sickness is Not Your Fault

Photo Courtesy of Aaron Springston A trusted friend recommended that I read, “Dying to be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True...