The Light of Forgiveness

Drumming in Basin Park
Circa 2012
Photo courtesy of Richard Quick

The small, mountain town where I life is very close-knit. Most of us know and love each other on a personal level. We have community celebrations for everything from the equinox to religious holidays. By the same token, when someone is hurting or in trouble, we pull together to help them. A situation comes to mind where one of our well-known, well-loved men ran amok and surprisingly was involved in an act of violence toward his family. The event seems to be fueled by ego and alcohol. We all felt compassion for him and his family, as many of us had links to him by way of various community events. He was fired from his job and ostracized by many. I keep thinking of the story of an African tribe which purportedly has a unique way of rehabilitating wrongdoers. They all gather in the center of the village and recount, in great detail, the admirable things they know about the person. This process may take days. When everyone is done, they have a joyous celebration, bringing the person back into their fold. I can see this happening here. We all share the same light, which brings peace to every mind. We can talk about this light until the cows come home, but it won't dispel the darkness unless we actually spark a flame. May our world find the way to healing through active Love. Namaste …

“Truth and Love enlighten the understanding, in whose ‘light shall we see light;’ and this illumination is reflected spiritually by all who walk in the light and turn away from a false material sense.” 

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 510: 9-12


“My forgiveness is the means by which the light of the world finds expression through me. My forgiveness is the means by which I become aware of the light of the world in me. My forgiveness is the means by which the world is healed, together with myself. Let me, then, forgive the world, that it may be healed along with me.”

A Course in Miracles W-82.1:2-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Correction at the Level of Thought

Art from Catrin Welz-Stein It seems there are any number of errors to correct in this world. It’s quite a relief to discover that I only nee...