What Am I Giving?


"All that I give is given to myself." [ACIM workbook lesson #126] Today’s topic brings an examination of what it is I’m giving. I would hope I’m giving happiness, peace, love, compassion — but sometimes I give judgment, condemnation, self-righteous thoughts, and false forgiveness. You might wonder, What is false forgiveness? It’s all too easy to forgive in a way which gives the impression that I’m superior and, in some way, better than the forgiven one. This is akin to the “back-handed compliment”, where people may say “thank you very much” when they are not thanking someone at all; but rather, making a point of feeling slighted in some way by another’s actions. The forgiveness I give may be a charitable act on my part, an act I may withhold as punishment to them and self-aggrandizement for myself. I am working toward understanding this thing called forgiveness. I ask myself, How would Love look on this? What would Mind think about this? Today I will strive to see through the veil of belief which dictates how I should interpret others’ actions — hopefully remembering if I don’t judge someone, there is nothing to forgive.

“Today we try to understand the truth that giver and receiver are the same. You will need help to make this meaningful, because it is so alien to the thoughts to which you are accustomed. But the Help you need is there. Give Him your faith today, and ask Him that He share your practicing in truth today. And if you only catch a tiny glimpse of the release that lies in the idea we practice for today, this is a day of glory for the world.”

A Course in Miracles W-126.8:1-5


“We must reverse our feeble flutterings--our efforts to find life and truth in matter--and rise above the testimony of the material senses, above the mortal to the immortal idea of God. These clearer, higher views inspire the God-like man to reach the absolute centre and circumference of his being.” 

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 262:11-16


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

They Are Part of You; and You of Them

Ceramic Created by Ken Starbird What does atonement mean to you? I think of it as being at one with All That Is. The ease with which I accep...