Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Who Are You?



Sitting on my porch, enjoying flowers and fireflies, encouraging seedlings to grow, enjoying the rosy twilight sky: this was my perfect evening. Shortly thereafter, a friend from the west coast called and asked me what I thought the definition of a bohemian is. Hum — something I’ve never thought about! And this is why I enjoy this particular 80-year-old, retired airplane mechanic: he makes me think. The reason he was asking is (according to him) he needs a definition of himself, so he can tell people what he is. He is in flux because he’s been breaking ties with organizations he’s enjoyed most of his life — i.e., the national rifle association, among others. Even though he wants to step outside of “tribalism”, he craves a word to define himself. What a delight to find that the current Course in Miracles workbook lesson is “I am not a body. I am free!” How many of us cling to long outgrown ideas about ourselves and other things? I suggested to him that he do things which bring him joy, letting the definitions fall where they may. I thank my friend for prompting me to reexamine my definitions of myself. It’s a good feeling to think I’m a lover of life!

“Freedom must be impossible as long as you perceive a body as yourself. The body is a limit. Who would seek for freedom in a body looks for it where it cannot be found. The mind can be made free when it no longer sees itself as in a body, firmly tied to it and sheltered by its presence. If this were the truth, the mind were vulnerable indeed!”

A Course in Miracles W-199.1:1-5


“If we are sensibly with the body and regard omnipotence as a corporeal, material person, whose ear we would gain, we are not ‘absent from the body’ and ‘present with the Lord’ in the demonstration of Spirit.”

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 14:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Surrounded By Love

Photo credit: Aaron Springston Do you recall a time when you felt swaddled in Love? Perhaps it was immediately following the birth of a chil...