Simple Joys

 


Today I visited with a sweet nonagenarian who is living in a full-care facility. She has taken a few falls and is very confused, along with having some hearing problems. She and I first met when I was organist for the Methodist congregation here in Eureka Springs. When the pandemic was upon us, she and her daughter (whom she lived with at the time) stayed in strict isolation, and they lived out in the woods. I began writing notes to her on a regular basis, sent by snail mail, and she responded with delight. On my visit with her today, she told me fantastical tales of her youth, and her life when living in California. I don’t know what was true and what was fantasy, and the great thing is it doesn’t matter! She enjoyed telling me and I enjoyed hearing her do it! She asked me numerous questions, such as: What was the best day of your life? Do you have enough money? How is your nutrition? (Direct quotes here) I took her a cookie from one of our local cookie makers. I have never seen anyone so happy over a cookie!! It takes very little to bring joy into another’s life, and it brought me joy to watch her. She caused me to think of things I had not considered. And I am grateful …


“Love never loses sight of loveliness. Its halo rests upon its object. One marvels that a friend can ever seem less than beautiful. Men and women of riper years and larger lessons ought to ripen into health and immortality, instead of lapsing into darkness or gloom.” Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 249:3-7


⁶Even at the level of the most casual encounter, it is possible for two people to lose sight of separate interests, if only for a moment. ⁷That moment will be enough. ⁸Salvation has come.” A Course in Miracles - M-3.2:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...