A Heart Centered in Gratitude

 



This morning I attended our local American Legion tribute to veterans, where I was the accompanist for the Star-Spangled Ensemble, a local choir. Earlier, in honor of my World War I veteran dad, I made a post about him on Facebook. In it I mentioned something he often said: “I killed good Germans for a dollar a day so you can enjoy this good life.” A friend made this comment about his words: “It’s such a statement of accountability, regret, rationale, and call to action all rolled into one. To unflinchingly accept his own actions, to be neither victim or perpetrator of injustice, and to assure that it had value by keeping his heart centered in gratitude.” Wow! Thinking about the difference in his attitude and that of today’s military fighters is quite a contrast. At the event this morning, the main speaker spent most of his time talking about suicides within the ranks of the military. I could go on and on about the reasons I see for this pain and suffering of soldiers and their families, but I won’t. My thoughts turn to Thich Nhat Hanh and his work with soldiers in forgiving themselves. I think about A Course in Miracles and how its precepts could help so many through forgiveness. Once again, we get back to Jesus’s request: Put down the sword. Namaste …


“Lay down your arms, and come without defense into the quiet place where Heaven’s peace holds all things still at last. Lay down all thoughts of danger and of fear. Let no attack enter with you. Lay down the cruel sword of judgment that you hold against your throat, and put aside the withering assaults with which you seek to hide your holiness.” A Course in Miracles W-190.9:1-4



No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...