The Past in Purified Form

Photo credit: Mark McGee

Today a friend called to ask me about some unsettling information she had just heard. It saddened me and I shed a few tears as we discussed the situation. She apologized for bringing sadness to me. I laughingly told her it was all right as numerous things saddened me every day. While thinking about these events, I recalled times when people were telling me their “problems” and then apologized for “putting it on me”. I have always assured folks that I don’t take on their stuff and not to worry about it. And this is still true. I’m happy to be a sounding board for things which are worrying my friends. Sometimes that’s all we need, don’t you think? 

“Guilt is inescapable by those who believe they order their own thoughts, and must therefore obey their dictates. This makes them feel responsible for their errors without recognizing that, by accepting this responsibility, they are reacting irresponsibly. If the sole responsibility of the miracle worker is to accept the Atonement for himself, and I assure you that it is, then the responsibility for what is atoned for cannot be yours. The dilemma cannot be resolved except by accepting the solution of undoing. You would be responsible for the effects of all your wrong thinking if it could not be undone. The purpose of the Atonement is to save the past in purified form only. If you accept the remedy for disordered thought, a remedy whose efficacy is beyond doubt, how can its symptoms remain?” A Course in Miracles - T-5.V.7:6-12


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...