Righteous Government



Mary Baker Eddy stated, when asked about her politics, that she really had none -- other than to "pray for a righteous government, love her neighbor as herself, and God above all else." I often look to her words on government to guide my thoughts during these surreal times. One of the sentences which helps me in times of confusion is this one: “Neither material finesse, standpoint, nor perspective guides the infinite Mind and spiritual vision that should, does, guide His children” (“Miscellaneous Writings 1883-1896,” p. 373). If left to the thoughts created by my ego-driven mind, I am tempted to jump up on my high horse and declare some governmental actions to be insane, at best. Perhaps I'll feel overwhelmed by too much misinformation and fall back on past ways of thinking about situations, not realizing each moment is different from the last. At these times, it helps me to know that infinite Mind (a synonym for what we usually call God) contains all the knowledge there is, and Truth (another synonym) can never be hidden, and Love (also, God) controls everything with Its all encompassing comfort and guidance. Rather than repeating in thought the things which are so upsetting, I hold to the Truth of our creation. We are the image and likeness of Truth, Love, Mind; reflecting those divine attributes leads me in purer pathways of thought and action than listening to error's hypnotizing repetitions. And I am grateful...

Mary Baker Eddy describes Jesus' prayers as “deep and conscientious protests of Truth, – of man’s likeness to God and of man’s unity with Truth and Love.” 

 Science & Health, Page 12


“Perception is the result of learning. In fact, perception is learning, because cause and effect are never separated. The teachers of God have trust in the world, because they have learned it is not governed by the laws the world made up. It is governed by a power that is in them but not of them. It is this power that keeps all things safe. It is through this power that the teachers of God look on a forgiven world.” 

A Course in Miracles M-4.I.1:2-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...