June 19, 2014 - Choose Again

ACIM Workbook Lesson #170
“There is no cruelty in God and none in me.”

As I was cooking dinner, a neighbor stopped by and asked a question about my flower garden. I stepped outside to talk to her, forgetting about the food on the stove. When I came back in, it was burned. I immediately thought cruel thoughts about my sweet neighbor, blaming her for the ruined meal. Wait a minute!! She didn't ask me to walk outside and chat for ten minutes, and if she had, I could have thought to turn off the burner. I had many options in this situation. My reaction of immediately looking for someone to blame opened my eyes to what I've been doing the last few days. While working in the gallery last weekend, three people from my past came in: one took me back to school in the 60s, one to the 70s for the "years the locusts ate", and one to the 80s and a doomed love affair. My reaction of wanting to blame my neighbor for the burned food made me sit down and think. I can try to apportion blame, but the fact is I have slipped back in thought to a time when my heart was hardened and, very possibly, my reactions were cruel. I am very grateful for today's workbook lesson which has reminded me there is no cruelty in God, and none in me. I am a reflection of divine Love. I'm not responsible for anyone else's actions, only mine. What I'm doing right now redeems the past because now is all there is. I am grateful for these insights -- and the fact that I can "choose again"!

Mary Baker Eddy quote:
“And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.”

Science & Health Page 497:24-28

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...