Sunday, September 11, 2022

I Don’t Do That

St Patrick’s Day dancers in front of Presbyterian Church
Photo credit: Richard Quick

My friends in the churches where I play organ might think I’m some sort of heathen, as I don’t participate in well-loved rituals and ceremonies. Today a visiting Presbyterian minister said something which expressed my feelings on this. In speaking of attending other churches, she said that she doesn’t genuflect because Presbyterians don’t do that. She said she doesn’t kneel because Presbyterians don’t do that. She said she doesn’t bow to the altar because Presbyterians don’t do that. Perfect! And there needn’t be an explanation given when we do what our hearts dictate. I truly think that most religious gatherings have only the best of intentions at their core, but I find many are trying to personify God. While my way of thinking is to spiritualize myself, others seem to want to humanize Spirit. Having dedicated my life to realizing my true self as a reflection of divine Mind, I do not call myself a sinner and ask for forgiveness, or refer to “our father WHO art in heaven”, or any of the things which would take my prayer back to a by-rote repetition of words. I love my main-stream religious friends and would never want to hurt them. I would be happy to do repetitions of prayers or rites of communion if anyone is hurt because I don’t. Namaste to all! 

"Question: What is the scientific statement of being?

Answer: There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual."

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 468:8-16


“Miracles are thoughts. Thoughts can represent the lower or bodily level of experience, or the higher or spiritual level of experience. One makes the physical, and the other creates the spiritual.” 

A Course in Miracles T-1.I.12:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Knocks at the Portal of Humanity

Are we finally ready for the truth? I've heard it said that we, as a human race, can’t stand to hear the truth if it contradicts long-he...