July 17, 2014 - The Heart's Nutriment

ACIM Workbook Lesson #198
"Woman in Mexico"
photo courtesy of Creation Spirit
“Only my condemnation injures me.”

For the last several years, I've avoided one of my neighbors, who is 90-plus years old, because it seemed there was no such thing as a short visit. She would tell me things I didn't want to know about her family and other people, so I began to avoid her. This morning she was sitting on her porch and asked for help. Her phone was not working and it's connected to a Lifeline button which she can push if she needs help. As it was going to take some time to get the phone company there to reconnect her, I told her I'd come over every hour and make sure she was okay. Today she started talking about herself, from childhood through more recent times, and it was fascinating! She told me the happiest times of her life were picking cotton with her sisters in the 1930s on a farm in Mississippi. Every visit with her today brought new adventures from her life. When she would wander into condemnation of others, I would simply tell her I had to go now, but would be back soon and wanted to hear more stories about her -- not others. It was like watching a documentary -- and I'm glad I was tuned in! I'm happy to find out what I was missing by not being honest with her. I don't want to hear gossipy things about others, but hearing about her feelings and experiences was lovely. I'm grateful for this day with her.

Mary Baker Eddy quote:
“The poor suffering heart needs its rightful nutriment, such as peace, patience in tribulation, and a priceless sense of the dear Father’s loving-kindness.”

Science and Health Page 365:31-2 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...