Saturday, April 25, 2020

Molly Ivins

I'm so pumped about a documentary we watched this evening, that it's all I can think of at the moment! Raise Hell: The Life and Times of Molly Ivins. I have always known her name, but never given her much thought. I wish I had paid attention all my life and maybe I'd be more like her. What a great thinker and truth-teller she was! The reviewer describes her as having "an anti-authoritarian sensibility trapped in an industry that usually strives to avoid offending or challenging anyone." A self-proclaimed liberal, she would go to the bars and drink with the conservatives, gaining insight for herself and respect from them when she could drink them under the table. Politicians were often flattered to be mentioned in a column of hers, even though she may be saying something similar to this: "Next time I tell you somebody from Texas should not be president of the United States, please listen." Part of her obituary read: "Ivins cultivated the voice of a folksy populist who derided those who she thought acted too big for their britches. She was rowdy and profane, but she could filet her opponents with droll precision." We need more people like her, straight talkers who are not afraid to speak truth. Recently I wished for another Mr. Rogers. Today I want Molly back!



"The question, 'What is Truth,' convulses the world. Many are ready to meet this inquiry with the assurance which comes of understanding, but more are blinded by their old illusions..." Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 223:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Knocks at the Portal of Humanity

Are we finally ready for the truth? I've heard it said that we, as a human race, can’t stand to hear the truth if it contradicts long-he...