Be Kind Whenever Possible


I know a young woman who is trying to move forward with her life, but her parents and sister seem to want her to stay in place. They tell her she is not capable of holding a job, that she is mentally ill and should be on disability, and imply that she is not worthy of love. She is working toward moving away from behavior which no longer serves her, and perhaps never did. I am proud of her and tell her so every chance I get. Today she texted asking for my advice on how to get along with her parents, who are very conservative and have different life values than hers. She has mentioned numerous times that she feels mentally ill, because her family keeps telling her she is. It's sort of a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" kind of situation, it seems to me. She has been told something all her life, which she has come to believe -- at least enough of a belief that when something doesn't go right in her life, she feels something is wrong with her. Schools and workplaces are not generally set up for anyone who doesn't fit into whatever sized box they want to put them in. In this time of change, I see people relaxing their beliefs on what is correct behavior. This is more than a live-and-let-live attitude; it is an embracing compassion for all things living. I could no more fault my dog for being black rather than white than I would ask my sweet cat to be more like my smart cat. Let's be kind to one another, and gentle with ourselves. Namaste... 

"The great difference between voluntary and involuntary mesmerism is that voluntary mesmerism is induced consciously and should and does cause the perpetrator to suffer, while self-mesmerism is induced unconsciously and by his mistake a man is often instructed. In the first instance it is understood that the difficulty is a mental illusion, while in the second it is believed that the misfortune is a material effect. The human mind is employed to remove the illusion in one case, but matter is appealed to in the other. In reality, both have their origin in the human mind, and can be healed only by the divine Mind." Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 403:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...