Seeking Understanding

In our country, the division between tribes has become so virulent and excessive that people are almost constantly in a state of judgment and battle in one form or another. Many are resorting to violent behavior and speech when confronted by something they don’t understand or disagree vehemently about. I’m keeping my finger on the pulse of these divisions and searching for ways we can communicate. It is not easy. One woman, whom I met through metafizzies years ago, has decided to come out of the closet and admit she’s a Trump supporter. I’ve started a private conversation with her about this development, because I truly want to understand how this could happen to her. It’s simpler than I wanted to admit. She listens to and reads fringe news sources, feeds her fear of conspiracy theories, and thinks that our current administration will change its outlook on the environment and animal and human welfare (she's a vegan). It takes all my strength not to argue with her. And so I continue to calmly and privately send her refutations of things she posts as facts on social media. I don’t want to be one who screams at people to wake up, but it’s tempting. Namaste...

"The calm and exalted thought or spiritual apprehension is at peace. Thus the dawn of ideas goes on, forming each successive stage of progress." Science & Health, Page 506:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...