Embracing Grief

 

PC: Aaron Springston

Tonight I'm sharing words from my son, about a letter from a fine woman who wrote to me shortly after Kevin's passing. I've read her letter numerous times, each reading bringing comfort and peace. I shared it with my son, Aaron, and he wrote this eloquent praise for her expression: "This is very impressively written! She’s got wonderful perspective that only could be absorbed with great personal awareness. Her expression is the epitome of confident and wise vulnerability! You have such great friends. Thanks for sharing." All you great friends will be fodder for "dailies" for weeks to come! As Ramona once joked: "Be careful of what you say; you may end up in the dailies!" I'll be writing about you guys for weeks! Comfort and joy, indeed! Here are a few sentences from my friend, Lin Wellford's note:  "It feels to me like each small thing that pops up must be felt and honored and then cauterized the way a wound needs tending. It's wearying work because it comes and goes and what may set off a 'grief storm' is hard to anticipate." This brought things into focus for me, as it's easy to skip over the "honoring" part as the wave of grief has a strong undertow. Encouragement, such as this, from friends heals me and sends me into tomorrow without fear of the work involved in walking through pain.


"The Divine Being must be reflected by man, -- else man is not the image and likeness of the patient, tender, and true, the One 'altogether lovely,' but to understand God is the work of eternity, and demands absolute consecration of thought, energy, and desire." Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...