Truth or Belief

 ​

Zarks Window, Eureka Springs - PC: Richard Quick

For years I’ve heard people talk about “my truth”, or that’s “her truth”, and I’ve always wondered what that was all about. I finally understand that people are referring to belief, not truth. Beliefs can feel like truth, because we have been taught that they are sacredly true, or scientifically true, or just-because-I-say-so true! But these ideas tend to change through increased knowledge and larger perspectives. Today, in 2021, we find ourselves believing things to be true because we’ve heard them repeated so often they have become a part of us. Television commercials, respected politicians stumping their causes, bull-headed people refusing to think outside their preacher’s prescribed rhetoric, social media hypnotizing us with our tribes’ beliefs — all these things, and more, contribute to our ignorance, our lack of knowledge. We have generations of people who have never learned how to think, how to question authority, how to examine themselves. It appears many of these folks have learned how to pass the buck and duck under cover when they are caught in a lie. Whatever happened to fessing up and saying we’re sorry? I was wrong. I’m sorry. It’s not so difficult! Truth and mercy are foremost in my thoughts this year, and they will remain my focus throughout this lifetime. As usual, please let me know if you see something I’m missing and/or need to understand! Namaste...


“Evidence drawn from the five physical senses relates solely to human reason, and because of opacity to the true light, human reason dimly reflects and feebly transmits Jesus’ works and words. Truth is a revelation.” Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 117:24

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...