Contributing To The Delinquency

 ​

photo credit: Aaron Springston

What would you think if you heard I had been issued a citation for “contributing to the delinquency of minors”? The Boston Globe has started a program called Fresh Start, where people can ask them to forgive and forget. In other words, the newspaper will consider updating old articles about lesser crimes and misdemeanors, or hiding them from Internet search engines. The debate between people is now: Is this a fresh start or a cover-up? So back to my first sentence: Yes, I was issued such a citation, but it’s not what it sounds like! My son was 14 and going to The Principia in St Louis. It was spring break and he was visiting with some lifelong friends who lived on our street. About 10 o’clock, he called and asked if he could stay awhile because they were having fun. Of course I agreed, and went to sleep shortly thereafter. The phone rang at 1 a.m. and it was Aaron asking me if I could come to get them; that they were in jail. It turns out they had taken a walk on this beautiful spring night (it’s perfectly safe to do this in Eureka Springs), and they had been picked up by a new policeman and charged with curfew violation. When I went to get the teenagers, I was given a ticket for contributing to the delinquency of a minor because I didn’t know where my children were! This caused quite a brouhaha in our village with letters to the editor and even an editorial written about the whole situation. In a couple of weeks, the chief of police apologized and expunged my record. But what if he hadn’t? If this ticket showed up on my record from an internet search, what doors might have closed to me? Obviously, I’m all for this wonderful program called Fresh Start! 


“It would sometimes seem as if truth were rejected because meekness and spirituality are the conditions of its acceptance, while Christendom generally demands so much less.” Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health page 343:21

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...