My Mom Loved Baseball



Bryan and Anita Havens
circa 1931
My mom was a baseball fan. She followed the St. Louis Cardinals and talked about the players with her friends. After I left home and lived in Fayetteville, she came to spend a few days at my house. My roommate was a baseball fan, too, so she and my mother spent some time watching games. Imagine my surprise when Brenda told me that my mother knew nothing about baseball! I was dumbfounded, and a bit embarrassed. This dear woman was a joyous ball of energy. She had a great laugh and rarely walked when she could run. But as children sometimes do, I didn’t realize how fabulous she was. She wore bright clothing and a flower in her hair, when my friends’ moms were non-descript. She painted doors bright red with black spots and gold doorknobs. She was happier than any other mom I knew. Looking back on her lack of baseball expertise, I see how cool that was! She enjoyed watching the players, cheered when they hit the ball (not caring if it was foul or fair), and was ecstatic when they made the playoffs. I wonder if she even knew what that meant? It didn’t matter! Sophia Anita Bravo Havens loved life! What I'd give to watch a game with her...

"Fed by Thy love divine we live,
    For Love alone is Life;
And life most sweet, as heart to heart
Speaks kindly when we meet and part."
Mary Baker Eddy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...