Binding Up The Broken-Hearted


Yesterday, I wrote of my friend in the hospital and her lack of interest in living. ​Last night at bedtime, I was ready to practice “tough love” on ​her, saying whatever necessary to break the spell ​o​f ennui she had sunk​en​ into. Low and behold, first thing this morning I got a call from her sister ​telling me ​that the hospital called and sweet Jane is ready to start physical therapy, ate breakfast, and she wants ​to take a shower! When I visited her this afternoon, she ate the watermelon I brought ​to her ​and was delighted with the body care products​ I spread over her bed. We shared good memories and talked about possibilities for her future. My gratitude is deep for the ability to show her gentle Love rather than tough love. She knows she might pass on, but is willing to live moment-to-moment, doing whatever is necessary to feel good again. Hallelujah!!


“If we would open their prison doors for the sick, we must first learn to bind up the broken-hearted. If we would heal by the Spirit, we must not hide the talent of spiritual healing under the napkin of its form, nor bury the morale of Christian Science in the grave-clothes of its letter.” Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 295:5-15

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...