Saturday, August 10, 2024

Practice and Understanding

Image of Unknown Origin

In an internet search about meditation and its various forms, I found a couple of interesting 60 Minutes programs. One was an homage to holy places. Mount Athos, in eastern Greece, has been inhabited by monks for over 1,000 years. The men who are sequestered there “pray without ceasing”, as per the dictate of St. Paul. While I acknowledge and honor their choice, I don’t think they’re the only ones living their life as a prayer. Many of us have this goal, and while we may not always be successful, it becomes a habit to catch thoughts which are not in line with divine Love, turning them around and giving thanks for this awareness. Another program along these lines measured brain activity when folks were talking about other people, and also when they were talking about spirituality. Different parts of their brain were used when thinking about negative subjects or, alternatively, loving activities. While I do not remember the particulars of these studies, I know from experience that it makes a difference in our daily experiences. Today, I urge everyone to express joy and happiness as they go about their day. I’m sure most of my readers already do this, but feel free to let me know how it’s going!


“Christians rejoice in secret beauty and bounty, hidden from the world, but known to God. Self-forgetfulness, purity, and affection are constant prayers. Practice not profession, understanding not belief, gain the ear and right hand of omnipotence and they assuredly call down infinite blessings. Trustworthiness is the foundation of enlightened faith.” 

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 15:25-31


“My true Identity is so secure, so lofty, sinless, glorious and great, wholly beneficent and free from guilt, that Heaven looks to It to give it light. It lights the world as well. It is the gift my Father gave to me; the one as well I give the world. There is no gift but this that can be either given or received. This is reality, and only this. This is illusion’s end. It is the truth.”

A Course in Miracles W-224.1:1-7


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Surrounded By Love

Photo credit: Aaron Springston Do you recall a time when you felt swaddled in Love? Perhaps it was immediately following the birth of a chil...