Wednesday, August 14, 2024

We Can Choose Again

Photo courtesy of Alden Stallings

One of the most wonderful things about the teachings of A Course in Miracles is the recognition of our ability to "choose again".  If we have fallen into fear-based actions, we are not required to continue on that path. It seems that a major impediment to releasing these mistaken dreams is our desire to keep all the good dreams, while letting go of the bad. I really want to get rid of memories of painful, fearful circumstances, but I'd rather hold on to lots of nice ones! Is there any difference? Isn't it all a material dream of pain and pleasure, life and death, duality after duality? Spiritual sense sees only perfect oneness, wherein there is no condemnation or reason for blame. I want to see with spiritual eyes, and that is the key to this sight: a desire to do so. If we don't want to release painful thoughts, we won't. If we want to relive hurts and betrayals, we will. In conversations, it is repeatedly brought to my attention how much people cherish being right. It seems to be a great source of satisfaction. But isn't being right or wrong simply a perception? My personal gauge is a feeling of peacefulness. Does a decision to act in a certain way bring a feeling of peace? If it does, then I go forward with that action.  Many decisions seem to be dictated by dogma on our part. We might think: This is the way it's always been for me, and I like it that way, and I'm going to keep it that way. And so we do. Even if the repetitive actions bring us sadness and conflict, we have decided that this is "right" and we must stick by our guns (what a horrible saying that is!) — and so we continue on in this way, whether it brings peace and happiness or the opposite. Let's remember to see ourselves as God sees us today, knowing that we are guiltless, sinless, and pure.

“Now is the time for so-called material pains and material pleasures to pass away, for both are unreal, because impossible in Science. To break this earthly spell, mortals must get the true idea and divine Principle of all that really exists and governs the universe harmoniously. This thought is apprehended slowly, and the interval before its attainment is attended with doubts and defeats as well as triumphs.”

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 39:23-30


“Father, I was mistaken in myself, because I failed to realize the Source from which I came. I have not left that Source to enter in a body and to die. My holiness remains a part of me, as I am part of You. And my mistakes about myself are dreams. I let them go today. And I stand ready to receive Your Word alone for what I really am.”

A Course in Miracles W-228.2:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Surrounded By Love

Photo credit: Aaron Springston Do you recall a time when you felt swaddled in Love? Perhaps it was immediately following the birth of a chil...