Our Busy Mind

White River
Photo by Steve Shogren

Communication is a tricky thing! A friend and I were discussing how interesting it is to be recounting events and have someone else who witnessed them tell the tale entirely differently. It may seem as though you weren't even at the same place, seeing and hearing the same things! The practice of quieting the mind is integral to listening. I've found that when my thoughts are jumping about, it's impossible to truly listen to anything. One thought leads to another, and before you know it, you've gone all around the world and have no idea what's happening right in front of you. By the same token, if I want to hear from the point of spiritual discernment, it's almost impossible to do when my own self won't be quiet long enough to concentrate on a simple sentence in a book. This is always a good indicator for me: If I can't read and digest what I've read, then I'd best have a "time out" and quiet my monkey-ind from its busy-ness! What a peaceful, harmonious world this will be when we all take time to quiet self-importance and listen for Self-knowledge.

"The point for each one to decide is, whether it is mortal mind or immortal Mind that is causative. We should forsake the basis of matter for metaphysical Science and its divine Principle."

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 195:11-14


“The fact that truth and illusion cannot be reconciled, no matter how you try, what means you use and where you see the problem, must be accepted if you would be saved. Until you have accepted this, you will attempt an endless list of goals you cannot reach; a senseless series of expenditures of time and effort, hopefulness and doubt, each one as futile as the one before, and failing as the next one surely will.”

A Course in Miracles W-96.2:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

What Am I Giving?

"All that I give is given to myself." [ACIM workbook lesson #126] Today’s topic brings an examination of what it is I’m giving. I ...