All Colors are — Brown?

Marsha and Sandy with some of her Art

In my years of running an art gallery, I learned quite a bit about human nature and a little bit about art. I enjoyed every moment of it and had a few favorite artists, one of whom was and is Sandy Starbird. Her favorite color was brown. Her loving expressions, brought forth through creative fabric pieces, were a major aid in my education. I watched her bring brown to life! It was difficult for me to grasp at first, but I did gain an appreciation for the varieties and subtleties inherent in its hues. Today I was listening to a book by Elizabeth Stout and she was describing her first experience with autumnal leaf colors. She saw that all colors were really one color: brown. As I listened to her character, Lucy Barton, describe this phenomenon, I thought of my far-away friend and gained a deeper understanding of what she saw. One of the keys to happiness is the continuation of learning, and I look forward to increasing my appreciation of what my friends see. The excitement of awakening senses is a never-ending delight!


“The artist is not in his painting. The picture is the artist’s thought objectified. The human belief fancies that it delineates thought on matter, but what is matter? Did it exist prior to thought? Matter is made up of supposititious mortal mind-force; but all might is divine Mind. Thought will finally be understood and seen in all form, substance, and color, but without material accompaniments. The potter is not in the clay; else the clay would have power over the potter. God is [Its] own infinite Mind, and expresses all.” 

Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 310:1-10


“Everyone will ultimately look upon his own creations and choose to preserve only what is good, just as God Himself looked upon what He had created and knew that it was good. At this point, the mind can begin to look with love on its own creations because of their worthiness. At the same time the mind will inevitably disown its miscreations which, without belief, will no longer exist.” 

A Course in Miracles T-2.VIII.4:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...