Falling in Love With the Earth

Burgandy Redbud - photo by Steve Shogren

While watching Blue Jays at my window suet feeder today, a memory floated in from childhood. My parents and some of their friends and I were out in the woods when I noticed the most beautiful birds in the trees. Excitedly, I asked what kind they were. The friend of my folks’ said, “Oh, those are just damned old Blue Jays. We use them for target practice.” I was confused and a little bit scared, not understanding why anyone would have such a low opinion of something so beautiful. I can’t remember if I ever asked my kind-hearted mother about this, but I know the man’s words stayed with me these past decades. Today I have pondered why some birds are more valuable to humans than others, why some people are to be honored and respected more than others, and what we can do to allow our neighbors to join us in loving harmony with All that Is. I’ve been watching videos daily from a series entitled “Growing a Greener World”. It showcases different people who are growing food. Some have raised beds in small back yards, and others are forming community farms in New York City. All of these episodes on youTube share a commonality: love of the Earth and everything on it. Let’s fall in love with the earth, then it will be easy to treat it kindly and nurture it back to health. 

“Nature voices natural, spiritual law and divine Love, but human belief misinterprets nature. Arctic regions, sunny tropics, giant hills, winged winds, mighty billows, verdant vales, festive flowers, and glorious heavens, — all point to Mind, the spiritual intelligence they reflect. The floral apostles are hieroglyphs of Deity. Suns and planets teach grand lessons. The stars make night beautiful, and the leaflet turns naturally towards the light.” Mary Baker Eddy - Science & Health Page 240:1-9


“Forgiveness turns the world of sin into a world of glory, wonderful to see. Each flower shines in light, and every bird sings of the joy of Heaven. There is no sadness and there is no parting here, for everything is totally forgiven. And what has been forgiven must join, for nothing stands between to keep them separate and apart. The sinless must perceive that they are one, for nothing stands between to push the other off. And in the space that sin left vacant do they join as one, in gladness recognizing what is part of them has not been kept apart and separate.” 

A Course in Miracles T-26.IV.2:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Today

Truth Needs No Defense

Photo credit: Jerry Dupy Many of my friends are social activists. They have worked for years to improve our environment, politics, and the m...